Sri Nama Prabhu, the holy name of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, grants the highest form of benediction in the form of pure love of Godhead. The glories of Nama Prabhu are unlimited and are found throughout the vedic literatures. Sri Sachinandan Gaurahari, the most munificent Lord who appeared in this age of Kali to deliver the people from the clutches of Maya, propagated this chanting of the holy names of the Lord with pure love and devotion. However, we often see that people chant for years and yet no substantial progress on the path of Bhakti is observed. This is due to the offenses that one commits while chanting the holy names of the Lord. The great acharyas have warned that the offenses committed at the lotus feet of Sri Nama Prabhu are like a mad elephant which completely destroys the delicate creeper of Krishna Bhakti. One must therefore carefully guard against the 10 offences to the holy names of the Lord, which are the root cause of all inauspiciousness on the path of Bhakti. These 10 grave offences are as follows:
1) To blaspheme the devotees who have dedicated their lives for propagating the holy name of the Lord.
2) To consider the names of demigods like Lord Shiva or Lord Brahma to be equal to or independent of the name of the Lord Vishnu.
3) To disobey the orders of the spiritual master.
4) To blaspheme the vedic scriptures or scriptures in pursuance to the vedic version.
5) To consider the glories of chanting Hare Krishna to be an imagination.
6) To give some interpretations to the holy name of the Lord.
7) To commit sinful activities on the strength of the holy name.
8) To consider the chanting of Hare Krishna as one of the auspicious ritualistic activities which are offered in the Vedas as fruitive activities (Karma kanda).
9) To instruct a faithless person about the glories of the holy name
10) To not have complete faith in the chanting of the holy name and to maintain material attachments, even after understanding so many instructions on this matter. It is also an offense to be inattentive while chanting.
Every devotee who claims to be Vaishnava must guard against these offenses in order to quickly achieve the desired success KRISHNA PREMA!!!